Friday 26 April 2013

Banoffee Pie - Student Edition

When I was naught but a poor student, back in the day, with ideas above my station, there came a time for the grown up dinner parties to occur. There were a group of us who would get together and throw a little party for each other. When my time came, the hit of the evening was my Banoffee Pie. It was such a hit that the girls who lived next door demanded, often, that I make this for them and bring it round in exchange for alcoholic favours. Of course.. I obliged.. The fact that I had a thing about one of the girls at the time didn't make this a difficult decision either, so the alcohol was a bonus!

It's an extremely simple recipe that I got from a Student Recipe Book, "Peckish but Poor" by Cas Clarke (now out of print). I actually remade this late last year for a friend, when I rediscovered the book, and it's still a winner, though this time I added whipped cream on top.. well.. I have a job now! :)


Ingredients


  • 10oz (250g) butter, melted
  • 8oz (200g) ginger biscuits, crumbled
  • 16oz (400g) can condensed milk
  • 2 bananas, sliced

Method


  • Mix 4oz (100g) butter and biscuits together, line a 7" (17cm) flan tin with foil and then press biscuit mixture into base of tin.
  • Put rest of butter and condensed milk into a pan, bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes, leave to cool.
  • Put half of bananas in flan case.
  • When toffee mixture has cooled, beat well and spread over banana.
  • Place remaining banana on top and chill.
  • Serve with cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment